Friday, July 23, 2010

A few pics...

This is a view on my walk to school. I really can't do it justice in any way shape or form....it's just breathtakingly beautiful.
I'm not sure I ever put up pictures of my Christmas decorations, but here's the little bit that I did for Easter. The "Easter basket" is actually a special basket here used for flour. Thanks to friends and family for the candy!! I died Easter eggs for the first time in a long time....pretty sure I got the proportions wrong, but they were fun!
These black and white pics were taken by Bret on our way home from Matema Beach. Women carrying loads like this is quite normal here, but I thought you'd all be a bit surprised. Imagine walking an hour to work like that!
Another view of the gorgeous hills of Makete.
I stopped for a quick snack on our way back from Matema...
This is one of the six students I brought to a Girls Empowerment Conference in Mbeya. It was her first time ever using a computer. The first day when they mentioned computer class she was so scared to go, because she was worried people would call her a "mshamba" (Tanzania's version of a hick...). She did great though!
This is Bret and my counterpart Mama Elia. She was showing us how they make local "pombe" (alcohol). The locals like to translate it for us as "bamboo juice." Bret did have a little taste. :-)
This is my God son! Isn't he precious?
This is a hand-made boat. Tanzanians still use them to fish and to get a few extra bucks off the tourists. Bret took this picture at Matema Beach (on Lake Nyasa).
I started a girls soccer team with another teacher at my primary school. (He's like a Tanzanian Coach Meigel). These girls are the most active. They're at my door daily to ask to use the ball.

1 comment:

Averill Strasser said...

Jessica:

We provided funds for your PCPP project to construct toilets at the school. Can you give us an update on the status of the project?

Thanks.

Averill Strasser, COO
RPCV, Bolivia ('66-68)

Water Charity
http://watercharity.org

Appropriate Projects
http://appropriateprojects.com