Thursday, July 31, 2008

Ode to Babus (and other random notes)…

I suppose I should start yet another blog entry by apologizing for not writing more often, but the last few weeks have been crazy. Last week we had our midtests in technical training, as well as oral and written language, so at night I’ve been doing a lot of studying when I’m not socializing with my family and neighbors. (I’ve since gotten my tests back and I did pretty well! Hooray! But it’s somewhat frustrating. I’m used to feeling great after I do well on a test, but here I don’t get a huge boost off my good grades because I still can’t fully carry on a conversation…oh well. It takes time, I’m fully aware). Anyway, I thought I’d share a few quick notes on fun/interesting things I’ve done or learned the past few weeks.

First of all, I attended a wedding! Well, actually I attended both the bride and groom’s pre-wedding parties the night before (which are basically just sweet dance parties, old-school block party style) and the reception after the wedding…haha, just like me to skip the wedding and go to the parties, but truly I was in school for the wedding ceremony itself. I have figured out how to dance Tanzanian style pretty well, even though I am wowowo-less, so I blended in pretty well despite the fact that I glowed in the moonlight. J However, when Shakira came on I had to bust out some of my own moves, so I had lots of Tanzanian mamas asking me to teach them how to dance (I can shimmy in a way they don’t know how….haha). The reception was very formal. There were a lot of speeches made and gifts formally presented by both sides. The bride and groom barely touch or smile, so that’s definitely different to me. There were some cute points. When they fed each other the cake the bride put the cake in her mouth and the groom bit it out of her mouth Lady and the Tramp style.

I also just wanted to briefly mention that despite the fact that my focus as a health educator here in Tanzania (thank you PEPFAR) is on HIV/AIDS, malaria is the number one killer in Africa. Malaria preys on pregnant women and children. In reality, a child dies of malaria every 30 seconds.

I also was quite surprised when I learned that in Tanzania and many other third world countries pregnant women who are HIV positive are encouraged to breastfeed their children for the first six months of their lives (breast milk is one of the four methods of transmission, along with blood, semen, and vaginal fluids). I was shocked when I first heard that and I honestly assumed that I misunderstood, but I later found out that it is indeed the case. In reality, all babies born to HIV positive mothers test positive for the first 18 months of their lives (because of the antibodies passed on while they’re in the womb) and so while researchers know that HIV can be passed on through a mother’s milk they are not sure exactly how high the risk is (it is believed that most babies transmit HIV through pregnancy, not through milk). And there is another important factor to consider. Unlike in the developed world where clean water and good formula is available, the alternative to breastfeeding in Tanzania is accompanied by great risks of water borne disease and malnutrition. Therefore, mothers are instructed to breastfeed until the babies are six months old, because this is when they begin cutting teeth and so are more likely to come into contact with blood. Their immune systems are also a bit higher and so they can handle other foods and drinks easier. Also babies stomaches tend to get irritated from real food, so these sores can be a door for HIV to enter if breastmilk is mixed with real food.

On a lighter note, this past weekend we went on a little, one-night getaway to Mikumi National Park. We went on a game drive and saw giraffes, zebras, elephants, hippos, and baboons. I was very disappointed that I didn’t get to see a lion, but I don’t want to complain about that too much, because knowing my luck one will show up at my site in a few months! We also enjoyed some delicious food and drink (we all drank Safari beer after the Safari….and PS 2.5 beers here equal a six-pack at home, and cost about a dollar each). We also had a rocking dance party where I got to bust out some killer Tanzanian dance moves I’ve learned as well as some American favorites (like the shopping cart and sprinkler) that my Tanzanian sisters just don’t appreciate! It was a great break after a very stressful week.

I want to finish this blog post with a quick note about something I love about Tanzanian culture. In Tanzania, if you don’t know someone’s name you can call them by a group they belong to. Sometimes it’s a bit annoying (especially if you’re white and you hear “Mzungu” 16 times a day), but usually I love it. Not only am I called “dada” (sister) by my technical siblings, but also by my neighbors and other beautiful, smiling children that greet me on the street. I also have endless mamas and bibis (grandmas), but most importantly I have babus (grandpas) again! I was very blessed to have had two granddad’s in the US who were wonderful dads to my parents and equally wonderful to me and Andy as grandpas. They were two people who always made me feel loved, affirmed, and special. My grandpas could always make me laugh or smile. Grandpa Meigel always had a funny story to tell and I think that part of him lives on in my dad and maybe me too. And I still think of Granddad McCann every time a stubbly face rubs against my cheek during a hug. It is wonderful to be reminded of them in those little ways, but every time I visit with a babu here I am reminded of the wisdom that comes from the years and life experiences that only grandpa’s have. And so every chance I get I ask babu (my neighbor) about his day, the news, his favorite soccer team, politics, and anything else I can think of. I have always known that the ancestors and family are important in African culture, but I think I am really beginning to appreciate the beauty and depth of my own family and my interactions with them both in the past and the present. I hope both my grandpas knew how much I adored them and how much they would affect my life even after they are no longer physically with me.

I guess I should probably stop for now. I’m sorry for being “lost.” My computer is experiencing technical difficulties (it won’t turn on) so I can’t write as much or often as I’d like, but I’ll try and write again soon. Peace and love!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad to hear from you!! I want to hear more about the wedding - sounds like the pre-parties were more fun than the wedding itself!

Also... how can someone NOT appreciate the shopping cart? Did you show them the "breaking in" move we made up? :)

Miss you so much. Love you!

jess said...

hahaha...actually no. i mostly tried to stick to the tanzanian moves for the most part, but i just couldn't help breaking it down for shakira. guess i made quite the impression though because this past week we did a simulation exercise when people who work at the market, bus station, police office, and town hall came to practice our language with us. turns out the guys from the bus station remembered me from the party! haha...it was kinda creepy, but mostly funny. :-)